Saturday, February 05, 2005

3 January 2005 : Semifinals -> Grand Finals -> Official Closing Ceremony

Semifinals will be held at KL Tower at 10am. We (Won, Francis, me, Joanne & Hanni), the LD team were incharged of it; thus we departed from KLI (KL International Hotel) at 7 something after having our breakfast. We took monorail from Chowkit to Bukit Nanas. A small incident happened though: we accidentally left Joanne in the train when we went down :p After meeting up with her, we walked for quite a long distance headed towards KL Tower. Reached KL Tower’s main entrance, we had to climb two high stairs and took a few turns to really reach KL Tower, as the shuttle bus services haven’t started at this early.

Met up with Ms Sooky, Event Manager of KL Tower and went up Megaview to have a look at the Semifinals venue. The venue was so nicely decorated and the KL views from there are fantastic *must visit!* Then, I asked help from Ms Sooky to get a computer with Internet access, so that I can settle my Malaysia’s Book Of Records (MBR) matters i.e. email Ms Suja (MBR’s Officer) the details regarding the record we’re applying – Largest Debating Tournament. Meanwhile, the other four were busy doing participants’ registration and arranging the participants to go up to the Megaview.

After finishing my stuffs, I went up Megaview and planned to have a nice time ;) Who knows I suddenly received a call from MBR saying that their server is down @_@ I have no choice but to sms Ms Suja the details and told her verbally as well. She confirmed with me that Datuk Danny, Managing Director of MBR will be coming to the Official Closing Ceremony tonight at KL City Hall to present the Mock Certificate.



LD team at Megaview
Standing(R-L): Won, Joanne, Hanni
Sitting(R-L): Francis, me @ Flo


After Semifinals ended, five of us and cgpa went to McD for lunch. On our way back to KLI, MBR office called me again and asked me to go to their office to collect the Mock Certificate, as Datuk Danny will straight away go to KL City Hall without going back to MBR.

Francis drove me to MBR at about 3:30pm using Alex’s car. Meanwhile, shuttle buses at KLI had already departed to KL City Hall. Before that, I handed the pen and pen holder to Joanne, asking her to pass it to Ms Mazwan for closing ceremony’s rehearsal purposes.

Ms Suja handed me the Mock Certificate, together with a shocking news --- Datuk Danny is still on the other function and unable to attend; even Ms Suja herself also has something else to do. Meaning ---> I’ve gotten the Mock Certificate, but NO ONE is coming from MBR to present it. Oh my god! 8-} *fainted* Really ma ma mia… My face expressions at that time was shock, shock and still shock :O Perhaps looks pale as well :-&

Me: “(look at Ms Suja) Then how ahh?”
Ms Suja: “Don’t worry. I teach you an option. You just need to ask an usher to bring the Mock Certificate onto the stage for Datuk Shafie (Minister of Higher Education, Malaysia) to sign (as witness), and Datuk Shafie will present it to Prof. Datuk Dr. Ghauth (President of MMU) on behalf of MBR.”
Me: “(nodded) Ohh, okay.”
Ms Suja: “So, don’t worry, it’ll be fine.”
Me: “Okay, thank you very much Ms Suja.”
Ms Suja: “You’re welcome.”

And so, I left MBR office with Francis. I quickly called Ms Mazwan and Evonne telling them about the sudden changes. We reached KL City Hall at about 6pm. The Grand Final is still going on between Ottawa, Hart House, Cambridge and Oxford.

I met up with Ms Mazwan and Ms Ohm, and explained the details about the way to solve the absent of MBR representative matter. And, as predictable, I ended up becoming the usher. Moreover, Ms Ohm had actually “catch” me into the toilet to put up make-up #-o *help* :p

From this moment onwards until the closing ceremony started, I was just nervous like “an ant on a hot wok” --> a direct translation from Mandarin. But, luckily Won was there all the time, accompanied me and comforted me. Thanks a lot pal, love ya, muaksss :-*

Teng Teng Teng Teng…the time has finally come! I slowly walked up the stage when Ms Ohm was signaling me from the opposite side of the stage. Holding the Mock Certificate tightly in my hands, acting steadily; yet I’m actually scared, oh god! After putting the Mock Certificate on the rostrum, I waited for Datuk Shaife to come up. And, you know what, I shaked hand with him, muahahahahhah :)) *syok sendiri* Then, came the President of MMU along. At the moment Datuk Shafie presented the Mock Certificate to Prof. Datuk Dr. Ghauth, basically all the cameras were aiming their way, and my way (I’m standing behind them :p). Those cameras’ flash were so shiny, my eyes hardly focus well, hehe…

After that, I cabut-ed down the stage, acting steadily again :> *luckily I didn’t run down* Won: “Good job, well done. See, you can do it girl (hold my hands and smile at me).” I bet she could feel how cold were my hands :p

We both headed up for the seats upstairs and watched the entire closing ceremony. Telekom Malaysia – MMU Worlds 2005 officially declared END! All dismissed. We went out and I suddenly realized that I haven’t kept the pen and pen holder that I’ve been putting at the rostrum. I rushed back in to get it, but it’s gone! Even until today I still can’t find it :(



Photo taken with current World Champion debaters Eric and Jamie, outside the KL City Hall

No comments: